We are very excited to announce that Fr. Robert Barron has become a Contributing Writer for The Integrated Catholic Life eMagazine. Randy and I are thrilled and honored to collaborate with Fr. Barron in his efforts to spread the Gospel and evangelize the culture through new and emerging social and communication technologies. We have featured Fr. Barron’s videos here at ICL in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
Be sure to watch the new trailer for Fr. Barron’s CATHOLICISM documentary series at the end of this article!
Father Robert Barron is a sought-after evangelist and speaker on the spiritual life – from prestigious universities to YouTube to national conferences and private retreats. The prominent theologian and podcasting priest is one of the world’s great and most innovative teachers of Catholicism. His global media ministry called Word On Fire (the website draws over 600,000 visitors a year) has a simple but revolutionary mission – to evangelize the culture by utilizing advanced and emerging technologies. He also is the creator and host of the new CATHOLICISM documentary series. His Word On Fire programming can be seen weekly on WGN America on Sunday mornings at 9:30 EST starting October 3, 2010.
Fr. Barron is the Francis Cardinal George Professor of Faith and Culture at University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois. Ordained an Archdiocesan priest in Chicago in 1986, he also has published numerous books, essays and DVDs.
Fr. Barron lectures extensively in the United States and abroad, including the Pontifical North American College at the Vatican and the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome. He also is a passionate student of art, architecture, music and history. Fr. Barron has been called “one of the Archdiocese’s greatest gifts” (Open Book, Amy Welborn).
Fr. Barron’s evangelistic work includes:
- WordOnFire.org – Fr. Barron’s website launched in 1999 draws over 300,000 visitors a year from every continent. Fr. Barron posts weekly video clips, commentaries and radio sermons and offers an audio archive of over 300 homilies. Podcasts of his sermons are widely used by tens of thousands of visitors each month.
- TV – EWTN (The Eternal Word Television Network) broadcasts Fr. Barron’s DVDs to a worldwide audience of over 44 million people.
- Radio – Since 1999, Fr. Barron’s weekly Word On Fire program has been broadcast in Chicago (WGN) and throughout the country (Relevant Radio – 950 AM Chicago) to 28 million listeners in 17 states. Fr. Barron also is a regular commentator on the “Busted Halo Show” on the Sirius satellite radio network based in New York.
- DVDs – Fr. Barron’s DVDs are used as powerful faith formation tools in universities, schools, churches and homes around the country. The series includes Seven Deadly Sins, Seven Lively Virtues; Faith Clips; Conversion: Following the Call of Christ; and Untold Blessing: Three Paths to Holiness.
- YouTube – Online video commentaries by Fr. Barron draw thousands of viewers worldwide and are among the most popular of any evangelist on YouTube. These frequent, high-quality productions include brief and lively theological reviews of contem porary culture, including movies such as No Country for Old Men, Apocalypto, and The Departed, a three-part critical review of Christopher Hitchen’s book God is Not Great, The Discovery Channel’s The Jesus Tomb, the HBO series “The Sopranos”, “Rome” and more.
- Missions – MISSION CHICAGO features evangelization lectures by Fr. Barron at the behest of Cardinal George. These special missions and presentations throughout the Archdiocese are centered in downtown Chicago and attract business, civic, and cultural leaders.
Fr. Barron is a prominent theologian. Since 1992, Fr. Barron has taught Systematic Theology at the nation’s largest Catholic seminary, The University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois. He was a visiting professor at the University of Notre Dame in 2002. Fr. Barron received a Master’s Degree in Philosophy from the Catholic University of America in 1982. He received a doctorate in Sacred Theology from the Institut Catholique de Paris in 1992. Fr. Barron was baptized at Queen of All Saints Basilica in Chicago and grew up at St. John of the Cross parish in Western Springs, Illinois.
Fr. Barron is an award-winning author. His numerous books and essays serve as critical educational and inspirational tools for seminarians, priests, parishioners and young people worldwide. His published works are also central to the numerous retreats, workshop and talks that he leads around the country.
- Eucharist; 2008
- Word On Fire: Proclaiming the Power of Christ; 2008
- The Priority of Christ: Toward a Post-Liberal Catholicism; June 2007
- Bridging the Great Divide: Musings of a Post-Liberal, Post-Conservative, Evangelical Catholic; 2004
- The Strangest Way: Walking the Christian Path; 2002
- Heaven in Stone and Glass; 2000
- And Now I See: A Theology of Transformation; 1998
- Thomas Aquinas: Spiritual Master; 1996
- A Study of the De potentia of Thomas Aquinas in Light of the Dogmatik of Paul Tillich; 1993
Watch the new trailer for Fr. Barron’s CATHOLICISM documentary series…